In my last post I mentioned I stumbled on a new language called Nim (formerly Nimrod), and I was able to sink my teeth into it only slightly more.
I tried install the beta package manager, but was having some problems that are to advanced for me at the moment (IE I really would rather spend my time on stuff to help me learn the language before I dig in and really try to help debug what is probably an OSX specific compiler issue).
Where to start? I like games, and a game that utilizes SDL2 presents a lot of challenges. The first challenge, then, is to get a program up and running that can hook into SDL2 – Nim already has a project to wrap the SDL2 library, and an example that can get a window displaying.
The trickiest part was actually just making sure the build command was composed correctly, since I really didn’t have to create any code (yet).
The complication is that I want my directory structure to look like this:
- bin/ - (game executable) - libs/ - sdl2/ - src/ - nimcache/ - main.nim - Makefile
Which isn’t like what I’ve seen so far (which is very, very little).
But it turns out Nim makes things super easy, this would be the
all: target in the
nimrod c -p:./libs/sdl2/src/ -o:../bin/out src/main.nim
A couple of things I learned from this:
-oargument seems to be relative to the nim source file
-pargument seems to be relative to the compiler call or maybe the current working directory